CEO of Rappler, Journalist, Author, Freedom Advocate
2021 Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Maria Ressa is the CEO of Rappler.com, an online news organization in the Philippines. Maria’s courage and work on disinformation and ‘fake news’ culminated in her being awarded the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of her “efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace.” Her numerous awards include being named Time’s 2018 Person of the Year and listed among its 100 Most Influential People of 2019.
Maria advises organizations and corporations on corporate governance, values, and strategy. Her experience as a journalist and an entrepreneur in the digital world makes her a sought-after keynote speaker and panelist.
A journalist for over 36 years, Maria has had 10 arrest warrants filed against her related to exposing the Duterte government’s corrupt practices and was convicted of cyber-libel in June. She is out on bail pending her appeal but true to form, Ressa, vows to keep fighting.
Maria was featured in the 2020 documentary “A Thousand Cuts,” which profiles her fearless reporting on the abuses of Duterte’s presidency, while also illustrating social media’s capacity to deceive and entrench political power.
Maria now travels the world speaking to organizations of all kinds on freedom of the press, democracy, and corporate governance.
Read more on Maria’s work:
Maria Ressa, Dmitry Muratov’s 10-point plan to address the information crisis
THe Guardian Interview: Nobel peace laureate Maria Ressa: ‘In 2024, democracy could fall off a cliff’
Please contact us to receive her complete Biography.
- Maria Ressa is our hero
- I'm utterly in awe of this woman's courage
- What a voice of reason and strength! Thank you @MariaRessa
- “Without facts we don't have truth, without truth we don't have trust" ..Amazing Maria
- Maria Ressa is an absolute legend, inspiration, and champion. #iLike3sToo
- This woman is just so amazing. It's great to hear from her here.
- I am bowing deeply to Maria Ressa and her amazing courage, inspiration and crystal clear message. WOW!!!
- Thanks, I accept the assignment! Pulling for you!